Saturday, April 9, 2011

Beef and Broccoli Sesame Slaw


This is a very quick recipe that comes together easily with leftover steak. A great cold meal alternative as the weather warms - and a nice option for picnics. Monitor the taste of the dressing as you add the tamari - it is very salty and so your preference for it may vary.

Beef and Brocolli Sesame Slaw
Serves 4 as a main dish

Ingredients
1 ten-ounce bag of brocolli slaw
1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro (omit if you're one of those folks who doesn't "do" cilantro...or substitute fresh diced basil leaves)
20 oz. steak, cooked medium, chilled, and sliced very thin (I use kitchen shears to shortcut this!)
1/4 c. cold-pressed extra virgin sesame oil
1/4 c. vinegar of choice (apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar are good options)
Tamari, to taste

Directions
Combine first three ingredients in a gallon zip bag. Add sesame oil and vinegar, zip bag, and toss to coat. Add tamari to zip bag a spoonful or two at a time, shaking in between added spoonfuls to combine, until desired taste is achieved.

6 comments:

  1. Ooo this looks delicious! I love broccoli slaw and this is great source of added protein I will have to try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this all the time with whatever leftover meat I have (usually without cilantro, but I'm going to try it this weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this recipe today and it was really good! I was worried about the slaw but it was delicious with the vinegar, tamari and oil on it. I served it with warm steak and will definitely be having this again! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori - so glad to know that you enjoyed this recipe! :) Hope that you continue to find useful stuff at Primal Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, but I would toss in a glass or stainless steel bowl... not good to expose acid and oil to plastic (even 'food-safe'). Toxins leach into the food. I know it's tempting, because it's so easy and no cleanup, but not a healthy idea! - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kate -

    Yes, I agree that plastic is not always optimal. However, for 20-30 seconds of tossing a dressing, it keeps me from losing half a shelf in my dishwasher to a large bowl - and I doubt that much damage is done in that time span. Of course, if you have any cited evidence (scientific studies, etc.) to the contrary I'd love to read them!

    This is an example of the fact that there are all benefit-diminishing-returns tradeoffs that each household must weigh and decide for itself.

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments, each and every one!

Please note that comments that are off-topic or of a gratuitously promotional nature will not be published. Also, for reasons of privacy, comments with my name or family members' names will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...